Intermediate MI Training: Beyond the Basics
This 2 or 3 day intermediate workshop is highly experiential and designed for individuals who have taken the Introduction to MI workshop, and using MI in their practice. It is encouraged that staff complete a minimum of 6 hours real-world coaching prior to taking this workshop.
Participants will be guided through a sequence of learning activities to move from basic understanding MI to basic MI competence in their areas of work. Learning activities will include:
- Videotape examples.
- Many small group exercises.
- Participant practice with feedback.
- Instructor demonstration.
At the conclusion of this training, participants will:
- Explore the “Spirit of MI” and engagement strategies.
- Understand the difference between ambivalence and resistance.
- Explore the balance between the technical and relational components of the evoking process.
- Be able to demonstrate the key principles of a guiding, person-centered counselling style.
- Increase their ability to use the Micro-skills within the Four Processes.
- Deepen their understanding and ability to demonstrate the Evoking Process.
- Strengthen their ability to hear, elicit and strengthen change talk.
Participants will be guided through a sequence of learning activities to move from basic competence to more advanced clinical skillfulness in their areas of work.