6 hour Introduction to Motivational Interviewing October 6 & 7 AM
Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
Introductory to Key Motivational Interviewing (MI) concepts. MI is a collaborative conversation style
for strengthening a person’s own motivation and commitment to change.
In this 6-hour instructor-led workshop, participants will take part via a live webinar format (Zoom),
watch videos, and engage in experiential exercises.
In this Introduction to Key Motivational Interviewing (MI) Concepts, participants will:
• Learn when to use Motivational Interviewing and in equipoise
• Receive a customized document that can be used when working in equipoise
• Learn the foundational skills of MI
• Explore the balance between the technical and relational components of the evoking process
• Learn how ambivalence impacts behaviour change and how to navigate through ambivalence using
• Learn the difference between sustain talk and discord and how to navigate through both
• Be introduced to the Four processes of MI
• Be introduced to the Micro-skills (open questions, affirmations, reflections and summaries) and how
they are purposefully used in MI
Participants will receive written materials 1 week prior to the training.
Cost: $140 CAD
Date and Time: October 6 & 7 // 9:00 – 12:00 Central Time
Trainers for this course: Roxanne Sawatzky and/or Trudy-Lyn Wittig