We offer our Motivational Interviewing training asynchronous, which is a student-centered teaching method that uses online learning resources to facilitate information sharing outside the constraints of time and place among a network of people. We provide participants with exposure and introduction to the theory, style, principles, and skill-sets of motivational interviewing. As often is the case with on-line courses this one is set up in modules to be completed in order. Each module is made up with interactive material that includes engaging presentation slides with audio, videos, and assignments. The material is broken out into 6 self-directed learning modules. Participants have one week to complete each module, with an extension option. Additionally, the training will highlight how we can have a powerful, three-fold impact: 1) Working more effectively with clients who have been labelled “difficult,” “resistant,” or “stuck,” 2) Lessening the impact of counsellor burnout, 3) Working more effectively with clients who have a myriad of overlapping change-related issues.
The online training for MI Level 1 has a variety of training options, the training is a total of 18 hours. We can also customize a LIVE online training for your agency, contact us for more information.
- Introducation to the Stages of Change
- Learn the basic clinical style and principles of MI
- Understand the fundamental spirit of MI
- Strengthen empathic counselling skills
- Understand and practice the directive aspects of MI
- Experience and practice an MI style for meeting resistance
- Learn to administer and apply a specialized version of the University of Rhode Island Change Assessment (URICA) to ensure each client receives individualized services